Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Day 6: Thank You for Believing #SOL18

A couple of weeks ago, I came across the tweet below from David Geurin on Twitter. It has been one of those tweets that has continued to stick with me and elicit reflection both personally and professionally. A tweet that is worded simply, yet yields depth and complexity.

Via Twitter

Depending on the perspective taken, these words can bring a mixture of interpretations. Professionally, I think of our students and ourselves as educators. Students need to be surrounded by those who believe in them whole-heartedly and are willing to do what it takes to see them succeed. This means believing in them through the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.  Our students believe in us, so we are only doing them a disservice if we fail to reciprocate.


On the flip side, this holds true for us as educators as well.  Education can be tough, and we need to believe in ourselves and more importantly, believe in our fellow educators and let them know we have their back.  Much like our students, everyone deserves someone who believes in them.

Personally, I am continually inspired by so many, yet influenced by those who have believed in me...even when, perhaps, I didn't necessarily believe in myself. We need people in our lives who see greatness, pick us up when we fall, and allow us to be vulnerable with who we truly are as individuals. Simply said, thank you for believing. Even if you don't realize it, remember you are an inspiration to someone out there. Someone out there believes in YOU.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for all this- the tweet, Maya's words, and your reflection.
    I love this turn-around thought. You make me realize I want to be the one who believes in others and helps them get there, wherever 'there'is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your slice is so true! I can think of two teachers who influenced my life immensely by their belief in me! Wow! How often, in my heart, I thank them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful slice! I agree with you wholeheartedly that students need to have the reassurance that we believe in them. Although, I never really saw this until I had children of my own. I was in my 5th year of teaching when I became a mother. Becoming a mother made me a more patient, compassionate, and understanding person altogether. I began to change the person I was in my classroom because I was a changed person after the birth of my first child. While I am ecstatic when my students succeed with my content, I am even more excited when they take a life lesson away from me or feel that they can come to me for help, whether it's for my class or not. It seems that students aren't told that they matter or that they have someone in their corner. I find that the skill of cheerleading is now part of my skill set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great advice! I think we’d all be better off if we thought of others more than of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this reflection. Believe is my one little word this year ... and it was more for me to believe in myself that I can make a difference, but you know something? I need someone to believe in me. Powerful flip of our thinking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete